My daughter ate a hotdog bun for dinner 7 hrs


Q: My daughter ate a hotdog bun for dinner 7 hrs ago. I didnt notice at the time there were small dark mold spots on all of them. She is sleeping now but I am freaking out after reading some molds are toxic and she could die. Shes 5, ate the full bun and does not seem to be running a fever


A:   Thank you for writing to us.

If you still have the spoilt hot dog bun, you can take it to the Hospital to get it tested to see what the mould is made of. Mould may or may not be dangerous and as long as your daughter does not develop any symptoms like fever or abdominal pain, she should be fine.

Checking the mould on the hot dog bun will also decide the treatment for it. Treatment is only needed if symptoms develop and you should not treat her empirically to avoid side effects of medications.

Hope this helps you. All the best.

Comments / Follow Ups

Patient: Thank you. how long should I be on the lookout for symptoms?
Doctor: Thank you for the follow up.

The shortest period of time for symptoms to appear (incubation period) is 6 hours and the longest can be about 5 to 7 days. If nothing happens for a week, she will be fine.

Wishing her good health.

Related Q&A

Q: I just learned about Shaken Baby Syndrome on the internet and I am paranoid that I may have given it to my child. I a...

Q: My daughter had hand sanitizer she is 6 i m not sure if she drunken it or not the bottle was just opened .unsure how...

Q: My 5 year old child swollowed a nickel what do i do

Q: My 6 year old has a partially white stool. She finished augmentin a week ago for a swollen jaw, which we assumed may ...

Q: I put peppermint oil on my 5 month olds face to keep away mosquitos without diluting it. His eyes got red. My questio...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon