My daughter has been sick for a couple days with

Patient

Q: My daughter has been sick for a couple days with a headache, chills, throat pain, unable to sleep and temperature. Tylenol doesnt help with the headaches or the temp, also has body aches and slight neck pain

Doctor

Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.com
Your daughter seems to be suffering from an upper respiratory tract infection ( URTI ), with chills, fever and throat pain.
Most of these infections start as a viral but progresses quickly to a superadded bacterial infection needing antibiotic therapy.

You need to consult her pediatrician and start her on an antibiotic like Amoxicillin. The appropriate dose for her age group will be 1 teaspoon twice daily for 5-7 days depending on the severity. This can be decided by her pediatrician based on her body weight. Also, betadine or saline water gargling can be done 2-3 times daily to reduce the throat pain and the associated irritation. In case, she develops runny nose and nasal congestion, syrup levocetirizine can be given once at bedtime for 3 days.

You have mentioned neck pain in the history. Kindly observe her. If she complains of increasing neck pain and has other symptoms like projectile vomiting and nausea with very high-grade fever, please take her to the doctor immediately to rule out meningitis. Although, the chances are remote, still, it is better to rule it out if she has the above-mentioned symptoms.

Please feel free to follow-up.
Regards.