Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My daughter is 14 and she has been getting pinworms

My daughter is 14 and she has been getting pinworms

Patient: My daughter is 14 and she has been getting pinworms after every period she has how can we get rid of them? And why is it occurring right after her period?

Symptoms: Itching

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.There is normally no connection between worm infection and menstru ation. The vagina usually is not a source for worms.Here is how you can get rid of them:-Pinworm eggs can cling to surfaces, including toys, faucets, bedding and toilet seats, for two weeks. So besides regular cleaning of surfaces, methods to help prevent the spread of pinworm eggs or to prevent reinfection include:Wash in the morning. Because pinworms lay their eggs at night, washing the anal area in the morning can help reduce the number of pinworm eggs on your body. Showering may help avoid possible recontamination in bath water.Change underwear and bed linen daily. This helps remove eggs.Launder in hot water. Wash bedsheets, nightclothes, underwear, washcloths and towels in hot water to help kill pinworm eggs. Dry on high heat.Don’t scratch. Avoid scratching the anal area. Trim your child’s fingernails so there’s less space for eggs to collect. Discourage nail biting.Wash your hands. To reduce your risk of getting or spreading an infection, wash your hands thoroughly after having a bowel movement or changing a diaper and before eating.To treat pinworm infection, your doctor may recommend over-the-counter pyrantel pamoate or prescribe medication to all members of your household to prevent infection and reinfection.The most common prescription anti-parasite medications for pinworms are:MebendazoleAlbendazoleYou may have mild gastrointestinal side effects during the course of treatment, and you often need to take at least two doses to get rid of the pinworms completely.Hope this helps. Take care.