MY DAUGHTER IS 16 WITH CHRONIC BACK PAIN

Patient

Q: MY 16 YEAR OLD IS HAVING SOMETHING GOING ON WITH HER BACK. SHE GOES TO LAY ON HER BACK AN HER EARS GO MUFFLED AND HER VISION BLURY,AN SHE BREAKS OUT IN A COLD SWEAT ? AND HER BACK IS HURTING HER SO BAD RIGHT NOW THAT SHE CANT EVEN PICK UP HER 8 MONTH OLD DAUUGHTER. SHE HAD HER C-SECTION BUT SHE WAS DOING ALL THIS BEFORE SHE EVEN GOT PREAGNANT. SO CAN YOU PLEASE GIVE ME SOME SORT OF IDEA AS TO WHAT CAN BE CAUSEING IT ?

Symptoms:  BACK PAIN,BLURED VISION,MUFFLED EARS,& COLD SWEAT
Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. We are sorry that your daughter is going through such difficulty. It is possible that these symptoms could be due to an endocrinological problem. It is possible that these symptoms could be at the level of the adrenal glands. The Adrenal glands are located at the the top of the kidneys and produce very important hormones such as androgens, corticosteroids, and aldosterone. A condition known as Hyperaldosteronism is associated with symptoms similar to your daughter. The hormone aldosterone regulates sodium and potassium levels in the body. If aldosterone levels increase, problems with increased blood pressure, dizziness, headaches, and blood vision can occur. Your daughter's back pain can also be related to this possible condition as well. Hyperaldosteronism can occur at the level of the adrenal glands or at the level of the pituitary gland within the brain which produces a stimulation hormone that causes the adrenal glands to secrete aldosterone. In order to determine if this is the cause your daughters symptoms she will have to consult an endocrinologist in order to perform testing to determine if she has hyperaldosteronism. This can be caused by tumors compressing the adrenal gland or pituitary gland, which my need to be investigated by performing an MRI of the brain and kidneys. Once diagnosed, this can be treated with medication, or if there is a tumor compressing the gland, then surgery may be indicated to remove, thereby correcting the excessive secretion of aldosterone.