Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My daughter is 7 to 8 wks pregnant First pregnancy

My daughter is 7 to 8 wks pregnant First pregnancy

Patient: My daughter is 7 to 8 wks pregnant. First pregnancy was tubal. She now only has one tube. Her second a year ago maybe was a miscarriage noted her 12 week visit and now when she had sonogram yesterday , she was told miscarriage waiting to happen. Could not detect heartbeat and said so no was cloudy. What should we be doing? Cannot stand seeing her heart broken over and over again.

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.As ultrasound was cloudy, better to repeat after one week t o observe the condition of the baby.Meanwhile if your doctor recommends let her take progesterone supplements or HCG injections depending on the need, which may help to continue the pregnancy if fetus is alive.If miscarriage happens unfortunately, your daughter needs through evaluation to find out the possible cause for recurrent miscarriages like chromosomal abnormalities, antiphospholipid antibodies, TORCH group of infections, gonadal hormonal imbalance as in polycystic ovary syndrome etc.With this workup the possible cause of her recurrent miscarriages can be identified and possibly may be avoided in future by taking appropriate treatment.Take care.