My daughters temperature is 96 degrees

Patient

Q: Hi there. My daughter is 16 months old and was just diagnosed with the flu yesterday. It has been a crazy and hectic past few days. Her temperature was normal before bedtime, and I just checked it a million times in a row because it keeps reading 95.6 and 96.0. Is this normal? I am a first time mother and this has never happened before. Your help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Symptoms:  Flu
Doctor

A:   Thank you for contacting ask the doctor.
A normal human body temperature is 97.5-98.5 F. A fever is considered only it the temperature raises above 99.5 F. I understand your curiosity. It is essential that your child eats well during the entire course of antibiotics (if given). Taking proper rest and having healthy food is essential. You can take the temperature every 2/3 hours if your child feels feverish. If the temperature exceeds 99.5, start with cold compresses and immediately visit a pediatrician as there could be a chance of having febrile seizures which could lead to brain damage in the child and hence needs immediate medical attention.
Hope this information was useful.