My family has a history of migraines and i am having frequent headaches.

Patient

Q: My family has a history of migraines and while i have a history of headaches they've become more frequent. I'm 34 and the headache is always on the left side, starting in the back of my neck, and radiating to my eye and sinuses. Sometimes the headache causes my sinuses to clog or my eye to tear. Last night it woke me up. It's usually just a nagging headache and taking advil helps relieve it. Sometimes it feels more like a traditional migraine where I'll have to lay down. I would say over the last month i've probably gotten around 7 headaches. I just want to make sure I shouldn't worry about anything more serious.

Symptoms:  Headache is always on the left side, starting in the back of my neck, and radiating to my eye and sinuses. Sometimes the headache causes my sinuses to clog or my eye to tear. Last night it woke me up. It's usually just a nagging headache and taking advil helps relieve it. Sometimes it feels more like a traditional migraine where I'll have to lay down. I would say over the last month i've probably gotten around 7 headaches.
Doctor

A:   Hello, Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.
I have read your query in detail, and i understand your concern.
Your description fits into Migraine Headache. Migraine headaches occur usually on one side of head and have severe throbbing sensation associated. They can be accompanied with vomitings, photophobia and phonophobia. A Neurological Examination, fundus examination are must to rule out any other Neurological problem. If required your doctor will also post you for CT Scan/MRI Brain.
Treatment would be with the drugs like Flunarizine, Propanolol, Amitryptilline. In case of acute pain drugs like Sumitriptan, Ibuprofen helps to terminate the attack.
You also need to modify your life style. You should sleep at least 8 hours in night, that too daily in a fixed time slot. Avoid sleeping in day time, as if you sleep in day, you will have difficulty in falling asleep on time in night and the whole cycle of peaceful sleep would get disturbed. Avoid alcohol specially beer, caffeine, lemon, cheese in diet.
You need to follow these lifestyle modifications for the purpose of getting rid of medications after a few months course. People who modify there lifestyles, usually get rid of medications after 6 months course.
Share my opinion with your doctor and get treated. If you have any further query, please feel comfortable to discuss with me.
Get Well Soon.
Stay Healthy.