My feet have been swelling lately For the past two

Patient

Q: My feet have been swelling lately. For the past two days, my left foot hasn't completely gone down overnight. I was on a plane over the weekend. Should I be worried about a blood clot?

Symptoms:  Leg swelling
Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Generally, blood clots do not occur without pain. I can assume that you have a single side swelling and with the history of travel, maybe to a mosquito infested place, you could have gotten filariasis.

Do not attempt to massage the area because if it is a clot, it can dislodge and block blood supply. The other causes of single leg swelling can be due to injury or tight shoes or the loss of pressure while flying.

I recommend that you see a Doctor to find the reason as soon as possible.

Patient: I elevated the foot while waiting on an answer. Both sides were swelling with one returning to regular size more quickly. Is a blood clot still a possibility? Where would the pain be?
Patient: I only ask because I had a charley horse on that leg in the upper thigh area on Monday. However, since I had walked much more than usual over the past five days (started a walking program), I assumed it was from the exercise.
Doctor: Thank you for the follow-up.

Swelling in both feet can be due to a kidney disorder or a heart related disorder. The feet will start to swell as the water or plasma in the blood starts to move into the legs. Also, having both feet swollen and reduce when you raise the legs points towards this.

Please see a Doctor to get a Kidney function test done and you Blood pressure taken.

Hope this helps you. All the best.