My fiance just found out his mom has type 1 and 2 herpes

Q: My fiance just found out his mom has type 1 and 2 herpes. She doesnt have any sores right now and has been taking her medication since she found out but he took a drag off a cigarette she smoked. Is there any way he has it? And will it get it if we have sex? Im concered because im at 4 months pregnant.

Thank you for your medical query at

If he is taking medicines prophylactically you do not need to worry.
HSV-2 can't spread without intimate sexual contact, whereas oral herpes can be spread through acts of kissing or close contact with the lesion. It can't be spread by sharing the same cigarette and also multiple exposures are required.

Please ask him to avoid sharing the same stuff with his mother as far as possible, especially when she has breakouts.

As of now, you can have sex with him, without worrying.

Hope this was helpful,