My fiancee and I always use condoms That is our

Q: My fiancee and I always use condoms. That is our only form of birth control. Last night we had sex. However we got a little to excited and for about 10 seconds he was inside me not using a condom. This happen right in the beining then we stop and then used a common. He never finished inside me. In really worried about the precum? I'm freaking out and I'm not sure if I should get plan b or what to do? Should I worry? Should I go and get plan b? I have never taken it. What are the chances of pregnancy? We are both still in university and we can't have a child right now. What can I do? What should I do? Please I'm really worried.

A:   Hello! Thank you for asking this question on ATD.
Yes! An ECP (Plan B One Step) is highly recommended in your case! Here is some information for you to help you decide what to do:
Pre-ejaculate containing live spermatozoa may find their way in when an unprotected intercourse (the duration does not matter here) occurs and may cause pregnancy. ECP protects you from that. An emergency pill or ECP is a birth control pill that can prevent pregnancy after an unprotected intercourse. People sometimes call it the "morning after pill." But you don't have to wait until the morning after sex to take it. In fact, ECP is more effective the sooner you take it. It is a one-dose regimen: you take one pill. The pill contains 1.5 milligrams of levonorgestrel, which is used in lower doses in many birth control pills. The recommended window of protection is 72 hours from the last unprotected intercourse, and the number of acts do not matter. The EC pill does not protect you from pregnancies resulting out of any future unprotected intercourse(s); thus the protection is of retrospective in nature and not prospective. If taken within 72 hours (three days) of unprotected sex, the hormones have a very high success rate at preventing ovulation or implantation of a fertilized egg in the lining of the uterus. If you take it within 72 hours after you've had unprotected sex, Plan B One-Step can reduce the risk of pregnancy by up to 89%. If you take Plan B One-Step within 24 hours, it is about 95% effective. But you should know that Plan B One-Step is not as effective as regular contraception.

At this time, that's all you can do to protect yourself from an unwanted pregnancy. However, please be vigilant and in case you miss a period, please get a home pregnancy test done and consult your doctor. The success rate of ECP is not hundred percent, after all! Plan B is safe in general. If in doubt, your doctor will help you decide about taking it. Hope this helps.