My first adult physical

Q: Hello doctor. I am a 22 year old female going in for my 1st adult physical. I was wonder what procedures are usually done and if I will be having to remove clothing. I'm nervous about this so I would like to know ahead of time so I can prepare myself. Thank you.

Symptoms:  None

A:   Thank you for your question. We understand your concerns, but we do commend you for taking this step. Regular physicals are an important way to keep close monitor of your health and catch any developing diseases in the early onset so they can be treated effectively. In a female physical, you will need to remove your clothing. Keep in mind, if your doctor is a male, by law a female nurse, physician assistant, or chaperon must be present in the examination room at all times.
You will first have standard phyiscial examination procedures performed, such as neurological assessment, reflexes, checking your eyes, ears, mouth and nose, as well as listening to your heart and lungs. After you will have your abdomen palpated and auscultated. These are general examination procedures that occur in both male and female physicals.
In a female physical you will also have your breasts examined for any abnormalities such as lumps or discharge. Your doctor will gently palpate both breasts feeling for any abnormalities. Lastly, and perhaps the most uncomfortable part of this physical is the pelvic examination. This will involve you having a vaginal examination along with pap smear to be sent for testing for cervical cancer. With a good doctor you are comfortable with, you should be completely at ease with this the physical. Remember, you have a right to refuse any examination procedures your doctor may want to perform. We hope this has helped.

Thank you consulting