My four year old hurt his knee

Patient

Q: My son is 4 years old. About 2 weeks ago my older son (9 years old) and my 4 year old were playing and my oldest son accidentally kicked my 4 years old knee area.

I made sure he could move it and he limped a little for a day or so and seemed ok. A day or so later he would start limping again. He would even be walking and just collapse. He walks with it bent. He wont straighted it all the way out, or bend it all the way in.

I took him to his Dr. and he did an X-ray, which we both felt it wasnt broken but maybe it would show inflammation. It came back normal. I know the next step would be a MRI but thats alot of radiation for a small child and really, is there anything they can do if they found something? Could there be something wrong enough that he might need a MRI?

I dont know where to go from here.
Thank you

Doctor