My friend has a lump at the base of his neck that is not tender.

Q: My friend has a lump at the base of his neck that is not tender but gives him the appearance of a hump back. Just showed up, could it just be fluid that needs to be drained?

A:   Hello.
Welcome to Ask The Doctor.
Any lump in this area can be any of the following:
1. Lipoma
2. Lymph node
3. Abscess.
4. Boil
A clinical examination is required to differentiate between all of them.
A hernia is a reducible swelling, it increases in size on coughing and straining.
A lymph node is usually differentiated on clinical examination. It can result from any infection. However, small lymph nodes in inguinal region are considered insignificant. If significantly enlarged, FNAC is required.
An abscess or boil require treatment with broad spectrum antibiotics like Amoxycillin.
Also, it is important to rule out diabetes in such case.
Share my opinion with your doctor.
I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.