My friend has had depression for nearly 5 years

Patient : My friend has depression and nearly has it for 5 years. How can i help him ( we are 14 and 15 years of age )? also if he is still depressed after 5 years how can he become not depressed?
Symptoms:  Diagnosed as depression
Doctor :   The depression word has many meanings and connotations – type, degree, chronicity, duration etc., your question is too twisted to answer it completely clearly. We need to confirm the diagnosis, co-existing problems and lot many things. Drugs, counseling and other therapies are available to get rid of depression. Meeting the doctor is important.