Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My gf, just ended her period yesterday now she is

My gf, just ended her period yesterday now she is

Patient: My gf, just ended her period yesterday now she is bleeding again and has bad cramps. She just got back on the pill 2 weeks ago after a month of being off it. I am really concerned about her does anyone have any idea what is going on?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Usually birth control pill should be started during the men strual period to get protection throughout the month and to regularise menstrual periods.As your friend started pills in the middle of the cycle the possible causes of bleeding are menstrual irregularity as a side effect of birth control pills, breakthrough bleeding due to improper use of pills, pregnancy related if she didn’t use any birth control method during the last month.If bleeding and abdominal cramps are persisting, please let her consult her doctor and get evaluated.By clinical examination and ultrasound the possible cause of the problem can be identified andtreatment can be planned accordingly.Take care