My girlfriend and I had sex on Saturday night The

Patient

Q: My girlfriend and I had sex on Saturday night. The condom broke. By the time we got our hands on the morning after pill it was 5pm. So it was less than 24 hours. She told me she wasn't feeling too well and was fearing she was pregnant. One tuesday, she said she took a urine pregnancy test and it came back positive. Is this possible to get a positive test that fast with using the morning after pill? I have read where if a test like that is positive with this situation that the positive test is from a previous sexual encounter.
What are your thoughts?

Symptoms:  Feeling like she is pregnant
Doctor

A:   Hello,
Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com
I understand your concern.
The emergency pill can be taken within 72 hours and if taken in that time frame 98 percent of the times pregnancy does not occur. The other 2 percent is attributed mainly to wrong timing or wrong reporting. So it is pretty conclusive.

Also, it can't come positive so early, it normally takes 2 weeks for the test to be positive. So I will advise you to first get an ultrasound done which can rule out pregnancy and if it is positive, give you the approximate date of conception. If it is indeed positive, it is from a previous sexual encounter.

Hope this was helpful,
Feel free to discuss further,
Regards.

Comments / Follow Ups

Patient: What is a reason(s) for the test being positive?
Patient: the only reason it is positive is because of previous sexual encounter?
Doctor: Firstly there is a minimal chance of it being false positive which can be ruled out by repeating the test.
Secondly yes, it can't be positive so early, so definitely from a previous encounter. An ultrasound can give you an idea on the probable dates of conception.

Related Q&A

Q: Is it possible for me to be pregnant? Are these signs? Is it too early to tell? I had unprotected sex on 12/16/16, an...

Q: I had my period from 12- 18 and realised drops of blood from 18-25.had sex on 5-10 but he produced outside .i feel bl...

Q: Hello, I took the morning after pill (19th November) whilst I was at the end of my first period and within two weeks ...

Q: Hi I had unprotected sex on my ovulation day or at least around that time. But I still had my period thirteen days a...

Q: On the poor advice from someone at Planned Parenthood (who I think was a volunteer and not a professional), about a w...

 
DOCTOR ADVISORY BOARD
218

Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician
173

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician
138

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist
98

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon
CNN
BBC
MSNBC
CBS
abcNews
FoxNews