Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My girlfriend has hsv1 and I used her chap stick

My girlfriend has hsv1 and I used her chap stick

Patient: My girlfriend has hsv1 and I used her chap stick about 20 mins after she used it the other day.she does have active my question is will I get it ? Or did enough time pass to where the virus died

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.HSV 1 causes herpes above the waist. It is possible to spread by kissing or contact thro ugh other agents. Thus, you may have HSV 1. This is also possible if you get cold sores as well.If you think that you have a disease, then you need to see a Doctor to get a diagnosis. The Doctor will then treat you with antiherpes drugs if found to be herpes.I hope this helps you. All the best.