Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My girlfriend has staph infection and it’s in her blood

My girlfriend has staph infection and it’s in her blood

Patient: My girlfriend has staph infection and it’s in her blood and the doctor said that we can’t have sex. I want to know if we can have sex

Doctor: Thank you for writing to ATD.It is better to avoid sex. This is because the infection can be spread via the saliva o r any of the secretions in the body.If you have sex and she has the MRSA type of infection, you will get a severe infection which will be tough to treat. I recommend that you be very careful when you are around her. Take precautions to keep healthy.And avoid sex till she is completely fine. I hope this helps you. All the best.