My girlfriend is 0rh negative and we want to have children

Q: My girlfriend is 0rh negative and we want to have children is it dangerous?

A:   Hi,

Having Rh negative blood group is not dangerous in pregnancy.
The outcome of Rh negative pregnancy depends on factors like blood group of the husband, parity etc.
If the husband blood group is also Rh negative, usually the baby will not get affected.
If the blood group of the husband is Rh positive, sometimes the baby also can get positive blood group. In that case, if the baby blood accidentally mixes with mother's blood in utero, that can lead to the development of antibodies in mother's blood and that can affect the baby.
This problem is more common with increasing parity.
But by taking anti-D immunoglobulin injections these problems can be prevented.
Before planning for pregnancy, please do consult your doctor and proceed according to her advice.

Hope this helps.
Take care.