Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My girlfriend started her second cycle of birth control

My girlfriend started her second cycle of birth control

Patient: My girlfriend started her second cycle of birth control last Sunday, and we had sex this Sunday. She takes her pill at nights, so she has used 6 pills. Are we protected from pregnancy?

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your medical query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.Yes, since she started her b irth control and had taken 6 pills already, she can’t get pregnant.Mostly this hormone tablets are taken for 3 weeks and stopped for a week, for the normal period to commence.If she is regular there are no risks of pregnancy.Hope this was helpful,Regards