My girlfriend took an early pregnancy test this morning.

Patient : My girlfriend took an early pregnancy test this morning. She believes she held the end up instead of down when she put the cap back on. Basically, it didn't show any lines at all after as long as about 10 minutes. Then, today after she got home about 9 hours later, it shows 2 very faint pink lines. She did another and it was negative. I know people say it's invalid, but I can't seem to understand how it could be a false positive? Both lines, I will say are extremely faint.
Symptoms:  There are no symptoms.
My girlfriend took an early...-1
Doctor :   Hello, Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion, The fact that the results with the urine pregnancy kits have bee n deceptive which is so often common when the test is held and examined after a long time. Ideally the reading should be taken after 1 min. So in such cases of doubt, one should opt for a serum beta hcg test, which is a blood based test and estimates the hcg levels in the blood. If the levels are less than 5ng/dl, then she is conclusively not pregnant else she is. So please get it done to alleviate the doubt with regards to conception at present. this test has 99.5 % sensitivity and specificity and way superior to urine pregnancy test. I hope i have answered your query, Wishing you good health, Regards