Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My grandfather is in the hospital He had copd

My grandfather is in the hospital He had copd

Patient: My grandfather is in the hospital. He had copd and went in for bronchitis. Today we thought he had a stroke. He is completely unresponsive with very constricted pupils that do not react to light and normal vitals. A brain scan and mri were done and they both ruled out a stroke. What other things could cause this?

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.There are 2 possibilities for this:Locked in syndromeOr micro-strokes that were not detected by an MRII cannot say for sure without an examination if these are the only possibilities. In some people, even seizures will present like blank staring. This is known as an absence seizure. The absence seizure is so severe that the person who gets it does not even know that he had it.You should get another opinion from a Doctor to help you. All the best.