Ask The Doctor > Pending > My hip is clicking and it can be sore, when I try to use a certain range of motion.

My hip is clicking and it can be sore, when I try to use a certain range of motion.

Patient: I am having some problems with my hip. I do a lot of exercise, mainly martial arts and when i try to raise my leg, e.g. for a side kick, the joint will give a loud click. It also happens when I raise my leg 90 degrees to my back and lower the leg (it is my left side only for this motion). It is not a normal click though, as it feels as though something is rubbing against each other to cause this noise and it can be painful but only when it clicks. Basically the left side of my hip clicks when I use my left leg in a straight motion, but the right side of my hip clicks when rotating my right leg. Any idea of what it could be and will this affect me in my sports when I get older?

Doctor: