Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My husband and I are thinking about trying to concieve

My husband and I are thinking about trying to concieve

Patient: My husband and I are thinking about trying to concieve. He is a moderate smoker. Does that put our baby at risk? Should we wait until he quits completely?

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Smoking can affect the male fertility and can damage the sp ermatozoa.This can lead to decreased fertilizing capacity of spermatozoa, if conception occurs also, possibility of miscarriage will be high and it can affect the weight of the baby also.So, better to plan pregnancy after your husband quits smoking.Take care.