Ask The Doctor » Questions & Answers » My husband and I have stopped using protection for over a year

My husband and I have stopped using protection for over a year

Patient: My husband and I have stopped using protection for over a year and I have not become pregnant. We took one of the at home fertility tests and they came out fine. I want to get my fertility tested but I really don’t know where to start. Should I go to a regular physician, a gynecologist or do I need to see a fertility specialist right away?




Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.If couple not able to conceive after one year with regular unprotected intercourse history, that can be considered as primary infertility.The possible causes of infertility are gonadal hormonal imbalance which can cause irregular menstrual cycles, anovulation etc, fallopian tubal block, uterine causes like endometrial abnormalities, fibroids, adhesions etc, thyroid hormonal or prolactin level abnormalities giving rise to irregular periods etc.Male factors can also lead to infertility like abnormal seminal parameters like low sperm count, decreased motility etc, genital abnormalities like varicocele, ejaculatory duct obstruction etc.By examination and by investigations like ultrasound, hysterosalpingography, gonadal hormonal analysis, thyroid profile, prolactin levels estimation for female partner and by physical examination and semen analysis for male partner the possible cause of the problem can be identified and treatment can be planned accordingly.So, please do consult your doctor or gynecologist and get evaluated. If needed they will refer you to an infertility specialist.Take care


Ask The Doctor
Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

Dr. Suneel Sharman completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Toronto. He currently operates Infinity Health Centre, a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

View all posts