My husband Finally went to dr this past Thursday They

Patient

Q: My husband Finally went to dr this past Thursday. They immediately hooked him up to Ekg . He was 155 OVER 50. said his heart was about to beat out of chest. They immediately sent him to cardiologist. They told him to rest and sent him home all swelled up with 2 medicines. Metoprolo tart -for blood thinner and elequis to stable his out of rhythm heart. Today he says it feels as if a rope is tied around his chest and he can't breathe any better than Thursday. He is swollen more in face, neck and stomach and legs.
Now question, should we be alarmed or be patient and give meds more time to work. He is scheduled to go back for Ekg rate check in morning and a mri to get a better look at the fluid on his lung and around his heart.

Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor.

We are here to help you on this medical health advice platform.
I suppose, the swelling over face and legs indicate either Congestive heart failure or Kidney issues that can cause tightness over the chest and breathing difficulty too.
His BP issues can cause heart problems and also his BP can be raised as a result of secondary hypertension due to kidney problems. So, EKG alone is not going to help him. He would require to get am ECHO, Chest X-Ray and Kidney function tests for evaluation.
If he has congestive heart failure he would require diuretics to relieve the congestion and fluid overload.
Take him to ER and Share my opinion with your doctor.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy.