My husband had a cold and flu like symptoms last last week.

Patient : My husband had a cold and flu like symptoms last week. He took some CTC meds but he never got to rest due to work. We was in and out of cold temperature which didn't help. Fever is gone but the last couple of days he has been congested coughing with some hissing some and phlegm when he spits. We are in Puerto Rico on vacation so only option right now was buying Mucinex D which he has only taken 1 dose and I've done some steam with Vicks .Besides that he takes 20 mg of atorvastatin for his cholesterol. Please help my husband never gets sick.
Symptoms:  See above
Doctor :   Hi. Thanks for your query and an elucidate history about your husband, who rarely gets sick. Noted that he had cold and flu like symptoms - took some CTC meds - no rest - in and out of cold temperature- fever gone - coughing with hissing and phlegm - on vacation hence gave Mucinex D - steam with Vicks - takes 20 mg Atorvastatin - wants help. Since it is a week that the problem started and now has the symptoms of cough with phlegm but no fever now, he can continue Mucinex D twice daily (please see the strength of medicines on a wrapper) If Guaifenesin 1200 mg then one tablet if 600 then 2 tablets. Steam is the best loosening and soothing in such conditions. Vicks gives instant relief but can have a rebound phenomenon hence better avoided. If the phlegm is colorless, there is no need of antibiotic. It is always better to have some anti-inflammatory medicines that help reduce the congestion. You may please give any like Ibuprofen or so if it suits him. This helps. All the best for his recovery.