My Husband has a 9 millimeter.

Patient : My Husband has a 9 millimeter... My Husband has a 9 millimeter diverticulum located at the bottom of his esophagus before the stomach. He has managed by sleeping elevated and being careful as to what he eats. All the Doctors including family members said it is a rough surgery and they have to open the rib cage. The other day aDoctor said its possible that there is a surgery using laser. He said they go through the stomach. Is there an advanced surgery? This became apparent approx in 1998. He is 77 years old and looks 60. He is in excellent health and takes no medication. One of the major problems is food goes in that pocket. Sometimes if he has to take an antibiotic it gets in the pocket and eventually his esophagus will swell up. He has bad allergies and the esophagus is also affected by that. He would be willing to do a less invasive surgery if it were available . Are there any new procedures that you are aware of?
Doctor :   Hi. Thanks for your query. To recapitulate: Male/77 - excellent health - takes no medication - looks 60 - bad allergie s and also affects esophagus - got apparent in 98 - 9 mm diverticulum at the bottom of esophagus - managed by sleeping elevated and being careful as to what he eats - food goes into diverticulum - wants to know the best possible surgery - the less invasive - new procedures - I could understand that he has been diagnosed as diverticulum of the lower esophagus in 1998, almost since 17 years without much of complications and well managed by sleeping elevated and food regulation; if it is so. it is worth considering continuing this conservative management as he is 77 years old if the further complication can be avoided. Another possibility of having undergone minimally access laparoscopy, that is going through the abdominal wall through keyholes and undergoing diverticulectomy with associated procedures like releasing the pressure zone in the lower- that is esophago-gastric junction to avoid recurrence is an established procedure. At advanced centers they can do this endoscopically, meaning by putting a tube through mouth with associated procedures. You will have to consult the operative Surgeons in such advanced centers that do these procedures regularly, discuss with their rate of success and rate of complications, possible complication and so on. Then only to go ahead with such procedures. I hope this answer helps you simplify the thinking, please feel free to discuss further if you feel that there is a gap of communication.

Related Q&A

Q: I was in vacation and 4 days into the trip I developed a itchy feeling all over my body. I have no bite marks however...

Q: I got a test ige immunoglobulin serum test . The value cams 520 ? What does this mean . I am a 30 years old mum .

Q: My friend took alegra and tussin and speed and now he says he is having a hard time breathing and stayingawake

Q: Hello, I had my nose pierced about 4 weeks ago. I thought I was starting to get an infection but it turned out to be...

Q: I really want a cat but suffer with allergies. Is there any way I can live with one and control the allergy


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon