Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My husband has been getting cold sores about once a

My husband has been getting cold sores about once a

Patient: My husband has been getting cold sores about once a month. I’ve never had a cold sore in my life… But he believes they are because he kisses me.When I was in 7th grade, I had a really bad “acne” problem on my forehead that was eventually diagnosed as “herpes” and more information wasn’t given. I had never been sexually active so my parents dismissed the idea and I’ve wondered about it since.Could I have the virus and be spreading it to him? Or does he have it?

Symptoms: Cold sores

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.I understand your concern.Cold sores better known as Herpes labialis which invo lves the area on or around lips can be sexually acquired or may be acquired without sexual contact. One can catch the infection from the surroundings if the air is contaminated with virus.But in case you have not developed the sores for long then it is unlikely for your husband to get it by kissing you.He may have acquired it as you got it from the environment.If treatment is started in acute phase then chances of recurrence decreases.For acute episode, oral antivirals like Acyclovir / Valacyclovir are advised.You should visit your doctor so that he can examine your husband and give prescription.You can share my opinion with him. IHope it helps.Stay healthy