My husband is a type 1 diabetic

Patient

Q: My husband is a type 1 diabetic and last night he was trimming his toenails and his third toe's toenail got ripped off. I put some ointment on it and bandaged it, but what else can I do to prevent infection?

Doctor

Since your husband is a diabetic there is an increased risk of infection that he may get. It is good that you have used an ointment, you should ask him to consult a Doctor to decide on the nature of the wound and the need to take oral antibiotics if required. Avoid exposure to water and keep the area dry till it heals. Any foul smelling discharge from the wound indicates immediate attention. Also his sugar levels must be in good control.

Hope this helped.