My husband was admitted to the hospital for throwing up

Patient

Q: My husband was admitted to the hospital for throwing up blood and having bloody stools...While he was in the hospital he had a chest xray, stomach xray, an endoscopy with bands added to the varicize to stop.bleeding

After all the tests it was.determined he has advanced cirrhosis, a small ulcer, pnemonia and he is also a.diabetic...

During his Hospital Stay he gained 20 lbs from All the iv's....

Last night and.today he has had bowel movements all night and day and his.stomach is Very distended....All other edema has gone Down...

Contacted GI doctor who said It is constipation and gas....I do not.understand because he has Had bowel movents all night and Day along With gas....His stomach is very distended and hard and sensitive to the touch. ...

Doctor

A:   Hi.

Read and understood your history of cirrhosis with all the complications your husband has.
Nor that the stomach is distended and still have bowel movements and gas all day and night.

The probable reasons can be:
- Gaseous distension due to uremia
-Gaseous distension due to intestinal infection
-Distension due to ascites

This can be diagnosed by:
Ultrasonography
Standing X-ray of the abdomen
Tests of blood for kidney and other organ functions.

The treatment will solely depend upon the diagnosis made.