Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My husband’s blood pressure is running 153/113 then goes

My husband’s blood pressure is running 153/113 then goes

Patient: My husband’s blood pressure is running 153/113 then goes down and spikes right back up..he has a throbbing headache what can we do to lower it and get rid of the headache

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.Your husband is suffering from grade 2 hypertension and this is ca using him headache too.Treatment for high blood pressure typically involves a combination of medication and lifestyle changes to help control the condition and prevent or delay related health problems.A normal blood pressure is 120/80 or lower.A healthy lifestyle is the first line of defense against high blood pressure. Habits that help control blood pressure include:eating a healthy dietstaying physically activemaintaining a healthy weightavoiding excessive alcoholquitting smoking and avoiding secondhand smokemanaging stresseating less saltlimiting caffeinemonitoring blood pressure at homegetting support from family and friendsTo make the most of your treatment, it’s vital to get regular medical checkups and blood pressure tests. Regular checkups allow your doctor to monitor how well treatment is going and make any necessary adjustments to your treatment plan. If your blood pressure starts inching back up, your doctor can respond promptly. Doctor visits also give you an opportunity to ask questions and bring up any concerns.Hope this helps. Take care.