My IgM blood score is low 32 whereas IgG and

Patient

Q: My IgM blood score is low 32 whereas IgG and IgA are normal.What could be the reason?

Doctor

A:   Hello

Thanks for the query

Immunoglobulins (Ig) are of several types. IgA, M,G, etc. Each Ig has a special role in fighting infections.
Low IgM levels can be seen transiently after a bout of infection which recovers spontaneously. Most patients with low IgM of lower degree are asymptomatic and lead a normal life. Severe deficiency is usually congenital and in these infants, there is increased risk of bacterial infection. I recommend that you repeat the test once again after 6 weeks, if it remains persistently low then I suggest you get immunised against pneumococcus and influenza to prevent life-threatening infections.

I hope I was of help, if you have any further queries or doubts please get back to me

Patient: I have diabetes type 2 diagnosed 7 months back ,could it be the reason,as Blood total proteins levels are also in norms.
Doctor: Hello
Thanks for getting back

Diabetes is not a known cause for low IgM levels.