My knee has been hurting for about a week off

Patient

Q: My knee has been hurting for about a week off and on. I play tennis, hockey and softball. I don't remember anything happening but it is very stiff (not swollen) and also very sore almost a throb under my knee cap and back of my knee. It also throbs up and down my leg. The most painful thing is to straighten it.

Symptoms:  Stiffness in knee
Doctor

Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com

You are into lots of active sports, and the constant running is putting a lot of wear and tear on the knee joint.
That can cause pain around the knee cap. Also, ligament sprain can do the same.
You should get an x-ray for a conclusive diagnosis.

Hope this was helpful,