Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My knee has been hurting for about a week off

My knee has been hurting for about a week off

Patient: My knee has been hurting for about a week off and on. I play tennis, hockey and softball. I don’t remember anything happening but it is very stiff (not swollen) and also very sore almost a throb under my knee cap and back of my knee. It also throbs up and down my leg. The most painful thing is to straighten it.

Symptoms: Stiffness in knee

Doctor: Hello,Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.comI understand your concern.You are into lots of active sports, and the constant running is putting a lot of wear and tear on the knee joint.That can cause pain around the knee cap. Also, ligament sprain can do the same.You should get an x-ray for a conclusive diagnosis.Hope this was helpful,Regards