My knee has been hurting for about a week off

Patient : My knee has been hurting for about a week off and on. I play tennis, hockey and softball. I don't remember anything happening but it is very stiff (not swollen) and also very sore almost a throb under my knee cap and back of my knee. It also throbs up and down my leg. The most painful thing is to straighten it.
Symptoms:  Stiffness in knee
Doctor :   Hello, Thank you for your query at AskTheDoctor.com I understand your concern. You are into lots of active sports, and the constant running is putting a lot of wear and tear on the knee joint. That can cause pain around the knee cap. Also, ligament sprain can do the same. You should get an x-ray for a conclusive diagnosis. Hope this was helpful, Regards