Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My knee hurts when I cross my legs

My knee hurts when I cross my legs

Patient: My knee hurts when I cross my legs also when standing for link the amount of time I currently have a standing office desk and I walk at least 2 miles a day.The pain is below my knee and lower part I need on the right side facing forward

Doctor: HelloThank you for posting your query at ATD for an opinion.I understand your concern and to understand your condi tion I would like to know a little more about it. Kindly answer a few questions for me.1. What is your age group?2. Duration of the knee pain?3. Whether it is sudden in onset or insidious onset?4. Have you been examined by any doctor or got xray of your knee?5. Which part of the knee joint is most painful?Inside/outside or the front/back part?6. Which activities have been painful?7. Is there any recent history of exertional activity?Follow up with answers to these questions along with your doubts. Feel free to discuss.Regards

Patient: 1. What is your age group?
53
2. Duration of the knee pain?Constant when it starts, usually about 6 hours into the day and on to bed time.
3. Whether it is sudden in onset or insidious onset?
Insidious, not noticeduntil mid day.
4. Have you been examined by any doctor or got xray of your knee?
No, I did have my anterior maniscus repaired about 5years ago.
5. Which part of the knee joint is most painful?
Inside/outside or the front/back part?
Left front, lower right side. Just outside on the top of the tibia
6. Which activities have been painful?
Sitting with it bent i any degree of bend other than strait.
7. Is there any recent history of exertional activity?
Only daily standing and 2 mile walk.

Doctor: Hello,
I apologise for the delay.
Your history is consistent with osteoarthritis of the knee joint. It is degenerative joint disorder causing new bone formation called as osteophytes and decreased joint spaceboth leading to painful knee movements. Articular surface either rub against each other or they aren’t able to cope with the extra strain leading to constant pain.
You have predisposing/associated factors for osteoarthritis past history of trauma (meniscal injury), post menopausal female/ age. Overweight also predispose to excessive joint strain, this factor is still undetermined since I haven’t asked your height and weight.
Although the diagnosis is mainly clinical, radiological evaluation(xray) of both knees is required to grade the pathology as treatment will depend upon the stage of osteoarthritis.
My recommendation is to visit your local doctor for xray of both knee joint Anteroposterior view while standing and lateral view for confirmation and staging of the condition.
Feel free to discuss further.