My left foot hurts when I put weight on it,

Patient

Q: My left foot hurts when I put weight on it, particularly when trying to stand on my toes. The pain is on the top left side of my foot and after trying to run again (after a week off) it still feels as bad as before and I am not able to run on my toes and I am forced to heel strike when I try to run. I'm a track athlete and I run distance and this happened after a surprisingly difficult speed workout.

Doctor

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

I think you have injured some muscle or ligament in your body. You can try RICE therapy for up to a week to help you.
Rest the leg. Stop running for some time to help you
Ice the leg to reduce the swelling. Do this 15 mins at a time every hour
Compress the leg using a crepe bandage or a ankle sleeve
Elevate the leg by placing 2 pillows under the legs.

Hope this helps you. All the best.