Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My left foot is swollen for no apparent reason

My left foot is swollen for no apparent reason

Patient: My left foot is swollen for no apparent reason and it’s been that way for over a week and I am Not sure what to do about it.

Doctor: Hello,Welcome to ATD. Thank you for the query.Unilateral leg edema is generally due to a local cause such as all ergic reaction, deep vein thrombosis, venous insufficiency, or lymphedema.Most patients over age 50 with leg edema have venous insufficiency, but if the etiology is unclear, a short list of laboratory tests will help rule out systemic disease: complete blood count, urinalysis, electrolytes, creatinine, blood sugar, thyroid-stimulating hormone, and albumin. A serum albumin below 2 g/dL often leads to edema and can be caused by liver disease, nephrotic syndrome, or protein-losing enteropathy.Additional tests are indicated depending on the clinical presentation.Hope this helps. Take care.