My mother is 78 years old, diabetic (non insulin

Q: My mother is 78 years old, diabetic (non insulin using), with high blood pressure, slow heartbeat controlled by medication, and has gout. She had bypass surgery in 2004. Her gall bladder has also been removed (5+ years ago) She recently had what she calls "a bladder infection". Yesterday, after a meal of kraut, corn, potatoes and okra, she reported feeling ill, and rushed to the bathroom. She began to shake from chills and her body temperature dropped to 94. Now 24 hrs later, her temperature is 101, we are giving her, water and cranberry juice, keeping her covered and using regular aspirin for the fever. Her blood pressure and blood sugar are all in normal ranges for her.
The shaking has ended, but she feels weak with a low headache. She refuses to go to the emergency room. What OTC products can we try till we can convince her to see someone?

Symptoms:  Initially: urgent need to deficate, body shakes, low temperature, feeling cold. 24 hrs later: fever (101), headache, feeling weak and lethargic. Blood glucose and blood pressure still in normal ranges for her. frequent urination without pain.

A:   Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.
Most probable diagnosis for her is Urinary Tract infection (UTI). This is very common in diabetics. Fever with chills in a Diabetic person inducates UTI. So, I would advice you not to wait as UTI can get complicated at this age leading to sepsis.
She should be started on antibiotics like Ciprofloxacin or Ofloxacin after giving Urine sample for microscopy and culture. The antibiotics can be later changed according to the severity.
I would advice you to give her Paracetamol for fever and avoid Aspirin.
She should drink plenty of fluids.
But OTC management of UTI is practically not possible and can be hazardous too.
See your doctor and share my opinion.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
Stay Healthy.