Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My Mother, who is 58 years old, is suffering from

My Mother, who is 58 years old, is suffering from

Patient: My Mother, who is 58 years old, is suffering from severe burning & pain in her feet since last 2 months. She is Type B Diabetic since last 15 years. We live in Pune city in Maharashtra, India. We are seeing a well known Ayurvedic Doctor for her problem. He mentioned that her veins in the feet have become damaged due to diabetes. But asured that she will be fine with his medicines, but it might take 2 – 3 months to see improvement. But recently since last 3 -4 days, the problem has become worse, and she’s not able to walk properly from one room to another. I am worried for her condition, that we should not end up in a big trouble with her feet, as i know foot care is very critical in diabetes.I am not sure where to go to fix this problem. (a Diabetes specialist, or bone specialist or nerve specialist)Can you guide us where should we go, and also can you suggest me a suitable Doctor in Pune for this problem.



Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you on this medical health advice platform.She is suffering from a com plication of Diabetes known as Diabetic Neuropathy. In this condition there is damage to the peripheral nerves of the legs as a result of uncontrolled diabetes.I would advice you to get her a Nerve Conduction velocity Testing for the confirmation of the diagnosis.If she has any leg blackening or toe blackening, that can indicate the gangrene as a result of vascular obstruction. She will require to get a color doppler of leg done for that.As far as the treatment of Diabetic neuropathy is concerned, maintaining perfect blood sugar is the mainstay of the treatment and we give a combination of Pregabalin and Methylcobalamine which helps a lot in reducing the pain. SSRI group of drugs like Duloxetine also helps a lot but in long term. It takes 4-6 weeks to see the effect. In case of excessive nerve pain Tramadol is also helpful. Few people also use anesthetic gels like Lignocaine locally for symptomatic relief.You should share my opinion with your doctor and get her tests done, modify her medicines for blood sugars to get it under control and she will be started on the medicines as discussed after the reports.I hope it helps. If you have any further query please ask me.Stay Healthy.



Comments / Follow Ups

Patient: Thank you very much Doctor for your guidance. I will share your words of opinion with a local doctor. Can you please suggest me a suitable best Doctor in Pune.

Doctor: Hello. I don’t know anyone personally there but you can find a neurologist there. He will be able to help you.
Good luck.


Ask The Doctor
    Ask The Doctor
Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji M.D.

Dr. Jimmy Obaji completed his residency in Family Medicine at the University of Manitoba. He currently operates a walk-in-clinic in downtown Toronto.

Book Appointment