Patient :My niece took 200 ml of potklor oral solution got fainted and admitted in clinic. I already read once pot. Chloride may cause cardiac arrest . is this syrup overdose do so pls explain in detail.
Hello. Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.
Yes, 200 ml of Potklor consumption is definitely high and life threatening.
Chloride is not the main problem. The problem is actually potassium. Such high dose of potassium can cause Hyperkalemia. Now hyperkalemia is very dangerous. It can cause dangerous Arrhythmias leading to cardiac arrest. Potklor itself causes lots of Gastritis and can cause discomfort due to Acid reflux.
She definitely needs admission and observation. She would require an ECG and serum potassium level estimation. If levels are found high she will require Anti hyperkalemic measures like Salbutamol Nebulization, Dextrose with insulin and in severe cases dialysis. She will also be given Pantoprazole for Gastritis. If there is no hyperkalemia evident then she would just require monitoring for next 48 hours.
I hope it helps.
If you have any further query, please ask me.
These Q&A’s are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.