My partner and I are trying for a baby

Q: My partner and I are trying for a baby. We haven't been using contraception for 2 months now. My partner is 22 and from a young age was prescribed ritalin for ADHD and took it for a total of around 11 years. He is otherwise fit and healthy. Could his medication of made him infertile. With my first child from a previous marriage I fell pregnant quickly without contraception.

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.

The ADHD medicines are not known to interfere with the fertility. However, 2 months is a very short period to call it as an infertility. You may keep trying it more regularly.
Also if you have any doubts about the fertility status of your partner then you can get a semen analysis done to confirm the same. Semen analysis will help in commenting on the sperm count, motility, vitality, speed of movement of sperm cells etc.
Do meet your Doctor and get the test done.

Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.