Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My PCP did an A1C test for the first time

My PCP did an A1C test for the first time

Patient: My PCP did an A1C test for the first time and my result was 6.2. Everything I have read says this is pre-diabetes, she told me there is no such thing and that I am a diabetic and I have to check my blood sugars twice a day. She also charted me in my medical files as Type2 Diabetes. My question is I think she has jumped the gun. What is your opinion?

Symptoms: No symptoms but I am obese with high blood pressure controlled by medication and high cholesterol also controlled by medication.

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.Get a post-meal blood sugar level done. You can also talk to a Diabetologist for a secon d opinion. I cannot comment because the clinical opinion may indicate that you have the disease.This is especially true if you have a lot of urination or are hungry often. I would get another opinion to confirm the diagnosis. But, you can still work out to lose weight and control your diet to help you. All the best.Hope this helps you.