My PCP did an A1C test for the first time

Q: My PCP did an A1C test for the first time and my result was 6.2. Everything I have read says this is pre-diabetes, she told me there is no such thing and that I am a diabetic and I have to check my blood sugars twice a day. She also charted me in my medical files as Type2 Diabetes. My question is I think she has jumped the gun. What is your opinion?

Symptoms:  No symptoms but I am obese with high blood pressure controlled by medication and high cholesterol also controlled by medication.

A:   Thank you for writing to us.

Get a post-meal blood sugar level done. You can also talk to a Diabetologist for a second opinion. I cannot comment because the clinical opinion may indicate that you have the disease.

This is especially true if you have a lot of urination or are hungry often. I would get another opinion to confirm the diagnosis. But, you can still work out to lose weight and control your diet to help you. All the best.

Hope this helps you.