My period has been irratic lately Last month it came

Patient: My period has been irratic lately. Last month it came 7 days late, lasted only 2 days and was brown heavy spotting. This month it’s 16 days late and hasn’t shown up. My husband and I did have intercourse a week ago and I bled red when I wiped but that’s it. Last month and this month produce negative pregnancy tests. What could be going on?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.You seem to be having irregular menstrual cycles. This can be due to a hormonal imbala nce or causes like polycystic ovaries, thyroid dysfunction, anemia, nutritional deficiencies, obesity, stress, vitamin deficiencies, sudden weight loss, etc.Kindly consult a gynecologist for an examination and investigations like blood and urine tests as well as an ultrasound of abdomen and pelvis to rule out the above causes.You may need a course of pills to regulate the hormones.Hope this helped.Regards