My period is late or the second month in a

Patient

Q: My period is late or the second month in a row. Last month is was about 10 days late, and this month it still hasn't come yet. It has in my life always been regularly. I don't if it is because I have this month started to exercise almost every single day, because I'm overweight and want to loose weight, and I usually only exercised every second week. I've also started eating differently since my host parents broke up. I'm always an exchange student and I'm in my last moths which is making me really emotional, and I'm on a emotional roller coaster feeling happy, feeling sad, feeling mad. Last month I think it was because my host parents were fighting a lot an breaking up and it took it tools on me, and made me stressed. But I'm getting scared that it is late again. Am I seriously sick? I looked it up and saw the it could be one of the symptoms of a tumor. Could I be really sick, or am I just overreacting?

Doctor

Thanks for the query to ATD,

The fact that you have been experiencing regular menses before 2 months and the irregularity has started just a month back when you have been going through emotional stressors at your home and personal life. Stress be it in any form, psychological, emotional, social or physical can cause hormonal imbalance and increased progesterone levels which invariably delay periods by 7-10 days and thats exactly what has happened in your case. You must practice de-stressing exercises and opt for yoga and meditation along with a healthy lifestyle and good hydration. This shall help in regularisation of menses. If the menses don't return by 15 days post missed periods then you can opt for an ultrasound and then for a withdrawal bleed with progesterones.
I hope I have answered your query in detail,

Wishing you good health,