Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My periods just ended 10 days ago but i notice

My periods just ended 10 days ago but i notice

Patient: My periods just ended 10 days ago but i notice today that i am bleeding again a red and brown color. I do take birth control but missed a week of the pill. I have had few cramps. What does this mean?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.Sudden stoppage of routine birth control pills can cause withdrawal bleeding and presen t with abnormal red discharge and cramps, resembling a period. This is because the pills have hormones as the content and any irregularity in the levels can cause changes in the menstrual cycle. Chances of contraceptive failure is also there, hence rule out a pregnancy later. If negative for pregnancy, this bleeding can be considered as an early cycle due to withdrawal bleeding on stopping the pills.Hope this helped.Regards