My pill is making me bleed for four months: Is this normal?

Patient

Q: I have been on the pill for 4 months but all together out of that time i have only had about 2 weeks where havent bled, my nurse told me to keep taking my pill (cerezette) but it now getting really frustrating

Doctor

A:   Oral contraceptive pills can lead to some irregularity and excessive bleeding initially . However since you have been bleeding almost continuosly it can be dangerous and make you more at risk of developing anemia due to the excessive bleeding. Thus you can change to a different type of pill with a different combination of estrogen and progesterone and start with a lighter one like Alesse. All the best.