Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My pre-schooler kids have not been vaccinated since birth. Which vaccines should they have?

My pre-schooler kids have not been vaccinated since birth. Which vaccines should they have?

Patient: I have bee a stay at home mom, and now am going back to work. My kids are 3, 5, and 6 and have never been vaccinated. I am thinking about getting them the MMR, and polio vaccinations. How may shots would the get of these at their age? All the vaccination schedules I can find on line are for when the start at birth. Also, would you recomend more vaccinations then just these ones?

Doctor: Catch-up immunizations would differ between countries. You can try going to a paediatrician and ask which catch up immu unizations your kids will need. For the 3 y.o., the ideal catch-up immunization for the first visit would be diphtheria, tetanus, polio, Hemophilus influenza b, Pneumococcal, and MMR. For the 5 and 6 year old, the same immunizations plus Varicella (chickenpox) should be given. This may sound too many but some vaccines, like diphtheria tetanus and polio, is in one vial. Most countries have immunizations funded by the government; you can also ask around which these ones are. There is no danger giving multiple shots at the same time as long as they are administered in different sites (1 vaccine in 1 arm, another in opposite arm, buttock, leg, etc). The importance of immunizations can never be overemphasized. Some of these diseases like (Hemophilus influenza b) can potentially cause serious and life-threatening diseases if the child is not vaccinated. I commend you for deciding to have your kids immunized. I do hope this helps and take care always.