Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My Semen smells fishy and bad

My Semen smells fishy and bad

Patient: Hi thereIve done alot of research trying to figure out why my semen has a fishy smell to it. Its only after ejaculation and ive read all sorts of things pertaining to my diet and possibly STD’s. What route should I take. My semen looks normal and white and If I dont ejaculate my penis smells fine under the foreskin for a few days even if i dont shower. So it has to be my semen that is causing the issue. Im not circumsized and ive read that there are glands that cause precum ? Theres so many things.. What would you recommend??

Symptoms: Just smelly semen

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Indeed diet and hormonal changes can be a cause for the current odor of your ejaculate. How ever, we want to rule out any sub-clincal bacterial infection which could be causing this. This type of infection will not present with symptoms of pain and inflammation but may produce distinct odor to your ejaculate. For this reason, we would like you to be examined by your doctor and undergo testing for any bacterial infections which could be causing this. Please see your doctor.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com