Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > My short height which is about 159 cm

My short height which is about 159 cm

Patient: I am 19 years old(going to be 20 after June 2015).I have very short height(159 cm).I am a male.How can I increase my height safely as far as safely possible. Everybody says it is impossible now.My grandfather was short heighted.My mother is also very short height.So I think I am short height because of genetics right.Are there certain excersises like hanging,swimming,skipping etc which can increase my height.Do they really work.Otherwise can I increase height artificially by certain medicines or by surgery(like height surgery,limb lenghtening surgery etc) SAFELY or are they risky(also mention the price of those surgeries).I really want to increase height .I know where there is a will there is a way.Please answer me.Even if some few more inches. Thanks in advance.

Symptoms: Short height

Doctor: Welcome to Ask The Doctor.We are here to help you.Height is constitutional and depends on height of your parents. Short stature can be due to some medical issues too. Height increases till a age, then it stops increasing as the end of long bones fuse by this time.If you don’t have any medical problems, I would not suggest you any medicine for that. Some people try hormones, but trust me interfering with hormones of your body can be serious.Since you have no problems, you can just get your thyroid profile done.Stay away from Newspaper & TV advertisements claiming to increase your height.Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.I hope it helps.Stay Healthy.