My sister has continuously lied in the past about medical problems to get attention.

Q: My sister has continuously lied in the past about medical problems to get attention, she recently took 90 Xanax, & is now in the hospital, while visiting her she told me she only took 60 Xanax & in the er they never pumped her stomach, I'm just trying to figure out if it is possible to take that many pills & still survive a suicide attempt without having her stomach pumped

A:   Hello
Thanks for using "Ask The Doctor" for posting your query.

Xanax is relatively safe drug and one can survive even after taking 60 tablets of Xanax without getting the stomach pumped. Further, one can take 60 tablets in a go. She probably needs proper treatment of her depression. This condition can be corrected with the help of medicines such as fluoxetine, mirtazapine or venlafaxine. These medicines start showing improvement in 2-3 weeks and the illness requires a treatment of 6-8 months. During this period, try to do regular exercise and eat healthy food and try inculcating some hobby. If you averse to medicines, then cognitive behavioural therapy can help you in the treatment of depression. This is a specialized counselling technique mastered by clinical psychologists and is almost as effective as medicine.
You may meet your doctor and get these medicines prescribed, or you can request for a Psychologist consult.

Hope this helps,
Wish you a good health.